20080623

Sarawak International Triathlon 2008

Went to check out the Sarawak International Triathlon 2008 with Darren last weekend. One main reason was cos I have plans to join the one next year. Gonna be heavily involved in triathlons as well thanks to inspiration from my friend Arkady. Been starting training for cycling and I'm getting swimming training soon from a coach (once I've settled the many errands!). We managed to check out the Sprint Triathlon which was on saturday and I could not make it for the full leg on Sunday. Anyway, arrived at the Marina Bay area a couple of minutes after they've started swimming. According to the organizers, there was a participant increase of 30% from last year. Next year, with me joining, it'll be 31%! :P (how lame can I get???)

The Sprint Triathlon was a 750m swim, then 20km cycle, and followed by 5km of run. Its basically half of the full leg triathlon. I'm just hoping to break the full leg. Which of course, will require plenty of training and preparation on my part. It'll be a fun process though!

The promotional banner!

One thing I noticed was that a really smooth transition needs to be made from the swim to cycle transition. Most of them lost time through the process of putting on their shoes and all that. If they did it systematically, they'd shave off plenty of useful time! I bet its easier said than done though. I'll have to double check with Arkady about this.


Elmer (Austria - 1st place)

Frederick (Switzerland - 2nd place)

Kimberly Yap (Miri! - 3rd place)

Overall the whole Sprint Triathlon day was great and I was really hyped about it! Uber hyped to be exact. Even have plans to save up and travel to do triathlons! Only time will tell I guess...

6 comments:

SYUKS said...

Hi Joe..good luck for your upcoming triathlon. must be a tiring one..but hope you will not be the last one to arrive to the finishing line.. ha ha.. caiyo caiyo

Joe Xavier said...

hahaha...
thanks syukur~
Not that soon... need lotsa training!

Anonymous said...

Hi Joe,
Thank you for posting some of the photos of the recently held Sarawak international Triathlon. I wanted to join the event but somehow I chickened last minute due to a terrible flu. Perhaps the next time you take part, it would be my first attempt too. Put up more photos of Sar. Int. Triathlon if you can.

Thank you.
HM Liew from Tawau, Sabah

Joe Xavier said...

Hi Liew, thanks for dropping by! Hope to see you next year for the triathlon! I'll post up the pics of the triathlon soon!

Anonymous said...

Hey Joe,

Where did u buy your swim,bike and running equuipment?

Could u write a post on the basic stuff if you dont mind? And where to get them in Miri??(or where u get urs)

Thanks!!

Joe Xavier said...

I didnt get any of them cos I didnt get to join any triathlons! But there's this Malaysian site online that sells them.

In Miri, there's a bicycle shop in Lutong Bazaar that sells good triathlon carbon bikes.

For swimming and running equipments, I guess you can get them anywhere?